Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Forgetting Those Things Which are Behind



Often people commit sins with serious consequences and do irreparable damage to their lives. If that’s you, don’t get the attitude that you’ve already blown it so you can’t serve God. Don’t compound the punishment by going into even more sin. All of us have veered off course in some areas of our life, but God can still greatly use us.

“For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.” Proverbs 24:16

Children of Israel

When some of the children of Israel found out they weren’t going into the promised land, it wasn’t time to give up and forsake Moses. They still had the responsibility of staying with God’s people and raising their children. Just because a parent has made mistakes in life doesn’t mean that the parent can’t be greatly used of the Lord to raise godly children. Perhaps your children will grow up and do whatever it is that you were supposed to do.

Woman at the Well

The woman at the well had made a mess of her life, yet she was still used to tell others about Christ. Maybe you’ve been divorced multiple times or have done some other irreparable damage to your life. That doesn’t mean that there’s no place for you in your local church. Obviously, the Bible has specific criteria for a pastor or a deacon, so that door is closed for you. But there are many other jobs you can do for the Lord, and everyone should go soul winning.

David

In Psalm 51, we read David’s prayer unto God where he wants to continue to live for God after his sin with Bathsheba. When David was confronted by the man of God, he repented. He confessed his sins and went on to do more for the Lord.

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. Psalm 51:1-13

Samson

Samson was raised by godly parents and had a great gift, but what did he end up doing? He broke his Nazarite vow and chased women to the point of completely ruining his life. At the end of Samson’s life, the Philistines enslaved him and actually poked out his eyes. When Samson’s hair began to grown again, the symbolism there was that God was still able to use him. The purpose of Samson’s life was to deliver the children of Israel from the Philistines, which he did end up doing in the end. Ideally, he wouldn’t have had to die in the process, but there are consequences for our sin. Even though Samson messed up repeatedly and was a failure in many ways, he probably had satisfaction in knowing he was still fulfilling his purpose.

Hopefully, we won’t ever commit the same sins as some of these Bible characters, but we will all fall in some way. Don’t ever give up. God’s mercies are new every morning. As long as you are on this earth and still breathing, then God has something for you to do. Confess and forsake your sin and keep moving forward in your Christian life. Even if it’s not his first choice, God does still have a plan for you.

“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14

Here is a sermon on God’s Plan B for Our Lives.

4 comments:

The Real Music Observer said...

Satan uses past failings to discourage you from doing what God has called you to do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Some of us have stuffed up our lives big time. I have. I have been punished on this earth severely and i am grateful the Lord loved me enough to chasten me and turn the thing around before it was too late.

I'm sure there's many of us.

Personally i grew up in a Godless home and my parenting was tv and movies.

But the spirit started knocking at my door loudly. I lost friends and family. I went to a local church (embarrassing).

God bless all of you on your journies.

Unknown said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor for this reminder. My brother is serving a long sentence in jail for aggravated robbery and gave his life to Christ there. He wakes at 4am every day and spends 3 hours praying for the city awakening outside the prison. He prays for all the young people going to work and to school, that they may be spared the bad influences and life of sin he fell into. He got teased and even beat by his cell mate for waking up and kneeling in prayer so early every day, but he kept at it and his cell mate now joins him from time to time.
He feels like it's the only thing he can do for Christ from his cell, apart from speaking about his faith to other prisoners. If the Lord can use criminals to further his Kingdom, he can certainly use each one of us.