Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Memorial Service for Grandma (Helen Anderson)



“Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.” Psalm 116:15

My grandma, Helen Anderson, who was my Dad’s mom, passed away recently at the age of 96, and we held her memorial service here at Faithful Word Baptist Church. My dad, my brother, my older sister, and I all got up and shared fond memories about our Grandma who was a godly Christian lady. We also talked a little about my grandpa, who passed away 25 years earlier. It was great spending time over the weekend with my dad, all three of my siblings, and their families.

Left to right: Clint, Spring, Dad, Denise, Myself, Zsuzsa, Matt, Lisa, Bobby, Raani

In a way, Grandma got to speak at her own funeral because I showed some footage of her from a few years ago. I then preached a sermon entitled “Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of his Saints” as a tribute to my grandparents. The sermon was about how it is biblical to honor those who have contributed to us spiritually. In my sermon, I also hit on some issues my grandparents were passionate about. Grandpa hated Calvinism and tried to warn his whole family against it. My dad definitely got the message, and he passed that hatred of Calvinism down to us. Hopefully, my aunts and cousins who weren’t at the service were watching online and reminded of one of the important doctrines my grandpa taught us and the fact that he left behind letters he had written to his descendants about it.

My dad with his four children in birth order from left to right.

If you knew my Grandma, you would understand that it was only fitting to have hard preaching as part of her memorial service. Grandpa was definitely a contender of the faith, and Grandma was the woman behind the man. Grandma stuck by her husband through the hard times and played a pivotal role in his salvation. Because of her prayers and faithfulness, my Grandpa and my Dad were eventually led to the Lord by an independent fundamental Baptist pastor.

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 1 Peter 3:1



I’ve been blessed with a godly heritage, so it was a privilege to put on a memorial service in honor of a virtuous woman who has contributed so much spiritually to our family. Not only was Grandma a great Christian and soul winner, but she was a fun grandma that we loved dearly, and we had a great time reminiscing about her. We had Mexican food catered in after the service since Grandma loved Mexican food.


Click here to watch Grandma Helen Anderson’s Memorial Service if you haven’t seen it yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, great analysis. I do not think he has dealt with a thorough mind often. He seems to have a need to justify a lot, even though they are logical fallacies. His ideology is filled with cognitive dissonance; as opposed to being like a rock. I listened to the sermon, where you brought this conversation up, and thought he sounded like a child, and he is supposed to be an elder, not a novice; but, he has the mind of a child and Reprobate. what books would you recommend to help understand these issues, inside a messed up mind, in the area of phycology?

Unknown said...

What a blessing. You shall see her soon in heaven.